Elder Coleman

Elder Coleman
Arriving at the MTC

Monday, October 7, 2013

Week of October 7, 2013



Dear Friends and Family,

I hope all of you loved conference as much as I did. It was truly a blessing to hear from our inspired leaders. I'm grateful for the talks on missionary work and how the work is hastening. I especially loved both of President Uchtdorf's, Elder Ballard's, and Elder Scott's (and of course President Monson but that's a given) talks. I love how missionary work is being emphasized and how the Apostles know how important the Atonement is in our lives. This conference has inspired me to be a better missionary and to further His work here in Selah.

This week was also incredible for teaching. There is a less active family that has been visited by the missionaries for years now. They haven't ever come to church, but they love having us over. We prepared a lesson from last General Conference and gave it like we always have. Then, something really special happened. I actually can’t remember what we were talking about, but the subject of Infant baptism was brought up. Elder Maughan, like a boss, taught that all children are saved through the Atonement and are automatically admitted to the Celestial Kingdom. Apparently, the father had lost a child when she was only 2. We promised him that his child was saved. And he began to cry, which I didn't think he was capable of doing. I couldn't help but smile that his heart was being softened. There was a long period of silence, where the Spirit testified to them that what we were saying was true. I guess the next step is to get them to start living the commandments and be sealed to her in the temple, so he can live with his daughter forever. 

We also gave a church tour with an investigator. The tour went normally, and then we got to the baptismal font. We sat down and talked about her concerns. We promised her that if she would read and pray about the Book of Mormon, she would know that our message was true. I don't know why people don't do it! Maybe because they don't want to be happy or change their lives. Anyway, the Spirit was there and witnessed to her that the Church of Jesus Christ IS restored through a living prophet. It was a pretty rad lesson.

Another powerful lessoned I learned this week was repentance. It may be hard to believe, but I am not perfect. Shocking I know but I definitely need repentance. I am the type of person to not forgive myself, even though God has already done so. I have learned that we need to let go of our sins and trust in the Atonement to make us clean. I read this scripture the other day and it is in Hebrews 8:12, "For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." God will not remember our sins, but we may. We must strive to have faith that we can be forgiven and then "let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us." (Heb 12:1) It will be hard, but through righteous living, we can overcome spiritual death to live with our families forever. I love you all and have a lovely week!

Love,
Elder Spencer Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment